Governing and Leading Executive Teams
The central source of ideas and direction for a mid-sized company is the board and the executive team. The three key issues that enable this group to function well are:
- Clear definition of all top roles
- Board / Executive interactions
- Building talent for the future
The initiative is designed and delivered by Sean Spence. Participants will be helped to create structures, processes and expectations that help the Board and executive team perform better individually and together.
The initiative uses proven tools to improve governance, executive effectiveness, executive team performance, strategy design and use of talent. The intent is to ensure participants get the best out of their top-tier talent.
The approach is interactive, both with the facilitator and each other, working on real-life issues in real time, leading to identifiable outcomes by the end of the program.
This initiative is vital for you if you’re planning:
- a major new venture or contract
- a disruptive strategic response to changing market conditions
- the introduction of an innovation strategy within your firm or entering new markets or
- merely wanting to make sure that you, your executive and your Board are all on the same page
- to get the top team aligned around major challenges
- to introduce a new team
- bringing together a merged team
- when there has been a significant new hire
*Each of these initiatives will be delivered in conjunction with key professional partners and staff of Pitcher Partners
1. Governance and Leadership: 1 day workshop
This full day workshop will give participants:
- A clear set of prioritised strategic aims that are the joint responsibility of the Board (or its equivalent) and the CEOs executive team
- Practical steps to change the working of Board and Executive team to get the biggest impact on the organisation
- A cohort of like-minded leaders with whom to develop ideas and share best practice
The workshop also includes a one-hour follow-up session with Sean Spence to identify the next steps for the Chair and the CEO to ensure the workshop leads to progress for the organisation. There will be preparatory work.
2. Governance and Leadership: 6 month main program
- 6 x 1 day workshops
- 6 x individual focus sessions with Sean Spence
- 2 x group online action and outcome sessions
- Online resources,
- Worksheets, templates and practical tools.
- An intensive 2-hour support, refocus and planning session within six months of completion of the program
The program is structured around three objectives:
- 1.Learn: Expand knowledge of Governance and leadership ideas as they apply to the participants.
- 2.Develop: Create actions for the Board and Executive to enhance their impact and achievement of specific organisational goals.
- 3.Apply: Accelerate the impact of participants͛ initiatives through projects in their organisations, peer mentoring and practical tools.
Each one-day workshop will be designed to produce progress on all three objectives. The focus of the overall program will be on helping participants implement initiatives that directly advance their top priority objectives.
Because Board level initiatives are strategic, the follow-up session can take place at a time best suited to the participants and their Board and executive timeframes, but within six months of the end of the program. This will be focused on locking in the initiatives taken and planning to ensure long-term outcomes from the program.
I have helped hundreds of senior professionals over the last 30 years thrive in complex roles. I love being a confidant to the C-suite and I particularly relish finding that inner fire that makes you excel as a leader.
I started Sean Spence & Associates in 1999 and I’ve been working with high performers for most of my career. You need to continuously develop your deeper capabilities to thrive in the next phase of the global economy. It’s fantastically exciting as new industries, deep innovations and new success paradigms emerge. But your personal strategy means building resilience, which means strong action right now. And the executive group needs to evolve past traditional ‘team’ paradigms.
I’ve been involved with executive change for most of my career. After qualifying with PWC in London and working with the firm in Hong Kong, I spent 15 years in global executive search with Russell Reynolds Associates. Based in Hong Kong and then Australia, I worked on assignments for roles in over 20 countries across high technology, banking and manufacturing.
I am drawn to helping organisations through focusing on key individuals and assisting them to clarify their role in relation to others in the Executive and Board. I’ve since consulted to a wide range of organisations, from multinationals to boutique businesses. I’ve helped executive teams and I’ve helped individuals in many different roles. Because my approach is about life in the round, I’ve gained qualifications in counselling &psychotherapy, socio-analysis, governance (I’m a past Fellow of the AICD) and creative processes. I started with a Physics MA from Oxford University.